2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Newport 13 v 23 Bridgend
07 February 2015 - Rodney Parade, Newport
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Newport 13-23 Bridgend

Bridgend Ravens secured their second successive win as they triumphed 23-13 against bottom of the table Newport.

Bridgend headed to Rodney Parade in a confident mood following their excellent win against Pontypridd last time out, and it was The Ravens who came out on top in what was a vital battle at the bottom of the league.

The first chance for the Ravens to get some points on the board followed an excellent break from elusive wing Mike Powell. The flyer took a chance after gathering a neat clearance kick and made 50 metres, some good phase play from Bridgend led to a penalty that was just off target from Dixon.

The Ravens showed intent to play fast flowing rugby when, shortly after, another Bridgend penalty was tapped quickly by captain Ashleigh James within 5 metres of the try line. The first points of the match would come following a good initial defensive effort from the hosts. Bridgend recycled and a crisp pass out wide saw Tom O'Flaherty squeeze over in the corner. Dixon was short with the conversion attempt. Newport opened their account almost immediately after as Fullback Geraint O'Driscoll slotted his first penalty of the match.

It was Bridgend who would add to their lead. A scrum move straight from the training ground saw Adam Williams carve through the Black and Ambers' defence. A pass out to O'Flaherty saw the winger cross for his, and the Ravens second. Dixon missed a tough conversion.

Newport looked to have scored their first try of the match only for a forward pass to halt the play as they went over the line.

The hosts continued to press for a five point score but the Ravens defended well and held out. A penalty goal from O'Driscoll left just a four point gap between the sides as half-time approached.

HT Newport 6-10 Bridgend

The Ravens upped the tempo from the start of the second half. Dixon landed a penalty two minutes in and went on to get a try minutes later. The Newport defence struggled to contain the power of Adam Williams as the centre went through the hosts defence again. Quick recycling left big gaps in the defensive line and Dixon went over under the posts. The former Black and Amber outside half added the conversion to give Bridgend a healthy lead.

Newport got back into the match, with what would be their only try, shortly after. Wing Elliot Frewen got over the line and ran it in under the posts for a simple conversion, O'Driscoll landed it to reduce the deficit to seven. A long range penalty from Owen Howe put Bridgend ten points ahead with what would be the final points of the match with 18 minutes to play.

Newport worked hard to gain something from the match, as the Ravens defence were put under pressure. A yellow card for lock Ben Jones gave Newport hope but Bridgend showed the heart and desire to keep the hosts out and secure a vital win.

Bridgend Ravens
Tries: Dixon, O'Flaherty (x2)
Cons: Dixon
Pens: Dixon, Howe

Attendance: 300

Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

Newport Bridgend