Cross Keys
2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Cross Keys 18 v 0 Bridgend
03 October 2015 - Pandy Park, Cross Keys
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Cross Keys 18-0 Bridgend

The Ravens travelled to Pandy Park searching for a first league point of the season, following their tough opening four rounds of the Principality Premiership. They faced the challenge of last seasons playoff semi finalists - Cross Keys.

Early signs were promising from Bridgend. A strong opening scrum was followed by a chip kick that was gathered by Owen Watkin, the Wales U20 international seemed to have touched down for the first score of the match, only to be pulled back for being in front of the kicker.

The remainder of the opening quarter was an even battle between the two sides, as both defensive units came out on top.

The 17th minute saw Captain Zac O'Driscoll shown a yellow card following an infringement at the breakdown. The Ravens battled hard with 14 men and were able to see out the yellow card without conceding. Just as O'Driscoll returned, prop Tom Sloane was sent to the bin to leave the Ravens a man short for a further 10 minutes.

Bridgend defended manfully as Cross Keys looked to make the most of their man advantage, the Hosts hunting for a first score of the match. It was Keys who were to be penalised next - this time the referee issued the home side with a yellow card.

Cross Keys would get the first try of the match following a quick tap free kick. The Hosts made great progress up to the Ravens try line. Rhodri Hughes was guilty of killing the ball in an attempt to keep Cross Keys out, the second row was also shown a yellow card to leave the teams 14 Vs 13 in Keys' favour. The home side opted for the scrum five metres out and a quick eight - nine move saw James Leadbeater slide over. Ethan Davies added the conversion to hand the Hosts an 8-0 lead.

The Ravens missed a late shot at goal as Ryan Evans' effort sailed just wide.

HT Cross Keys RFC 8-0 Bridgend Ravens

Bridgend were unable to get themselves over the try line in the second half despite some excellent attacking moves. Michael Powell made a fine break following a lineout move. The wing was unable to make the offload that could have seen Bridgend get their first points of the match.

The powerful Owen Watkin was the next Raven to go close. A strong run saw the centre break multiple tackles, but the final pass went to ground and Keys cleared to bring an end to the Visitors attack.

The 75th minute saw Cross Keys extend their lead with a penalty from former Raven Owen Howe.

With the clock nearing 80 minutes, Cross Keys had one last chance with a scrum, five metres from the Bridgend line. A big push from the Hosts resulted in a penalty try.

A valiant effort from Bridgend left the considerable number of travelling fans with plenty of optimism, despite the disappointment of defeat. 


Attendance: 100

Official : Rhys Thomas (Wales)

Cross Keys Bridgend