Bridgend Ravens
2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 28 v 48 Newport
09 October 2015 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend 28-48 Newport

Bridgend Ravens got their first point of the season despite a heavy defeat to Newport at the Bridgend Ford Brewery Field.

The Ravens claimed their first league point of the campaign despite falling to a 28 points to 48 defeat to Newport under the floodlights.

The Black and Ambers took an early lead thanks to a Brendan Lampitt try. Impressive all evening, Arwel Robson notched his first points of the match with the conversion.

Bridgend were awarded a penalty following a strong scrum. Kicking the corner, the Ravens set up the driving maul. Nicky Boyce was awarded the score, Ryan Evans struck the upright with the conversion to leave the visitors with a two point lead following the opening quarter of the match.

It was Newport's turn to use the driving maul to good effect with just over 20 minutes played. A penalty kicked to the corner saw the maul tie up the Bridgend pack. A quick inside ball saw centre Aled James crash over. Robson added the extras.

The Ravens hit back less than five minutes later. Another maul driving toward the line by the Bridgend forwards almost lead to the score. Joseph Scrivens kicked wide to the waiting Alex Fenton. The winger was stopped just short and the Ravens recycled quickly. Ashton Evans barged over for the Hosts' second try of the evening. Evans was unsuccessful with the wide conversion attempt.

Newport managed a third score before the break. A powerful scrum, five metres out, led to a penalty try for the Visitors.

HT Bridgend Ravens 12-24 Newport RFC

The Ravens started the second half hunting for a third score to get themselves back into the game. Indiscipline and poor handling halted multiple attacking opportunities. It was Newport that were to get the next score, as the hour mark of the match approached. A poor clearance from the Ravens handed Newport the platform for their try bonus point score. A powerful maul was marched toward the line and Oliver Griffiths touched down. Robson again slotted the conversion.

The Visitors added two further tries as the Ravens fought to get something from the match. Ed Howley and Wes Cunliffe touching down with Arwel Robson and replacement Julian Mogg slotting both conversions.

With a raft of replacements looking to make their mark, two combined for Bridgend's third try. Jack Pring's neat footwork and offload set David Evans away down his wing. The speedster beat his opposite wing and rounded the fullback to score and give the Ravens hope of a point. Joseph Scrivens, taking over the kicking duty, added the conversion.

Bridgend threw everything they had into securing a first league point of the season and it came down to the last play of the match. Battling out wide, Ashton Evans showed his strength and managed to get the ball down for the score. Scrivens added an excellent wide conversion.

The Ravens, whilst disappointed with the result will remain positive and hope to build on the four try bonus point.

Attendance: 700

Official : Neil Hennessy (Wales)

Bridgend Newport