Carmarthen Quins
2015/2016 Principality Premiership
Quins 20 v 10 Bridgend
28 November 2015 - The Park, Carmarthen
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Carmarthen 20-10 Bridgend

Bridgend Ravens suffered a first league loss in five matches as a late breakaway score from Quins’ Dylan Morgans condemned the Ravens to defeat at Carmarthen Park. 

The hosts held an 8-0 half time lead thanks to a try following a driving maul from flanker Ollie Hitchens, the score converted by Dan Jones.

With 25 minutes played Carmarthen looked set to claim their second try thanks to a counter attack from deep. Scarlet Harry Robinson seemed to have a clear path to the line but for Michael Powell's excellent chase down and try saving tackle.

HT Carmarthen Quins 8-0 Bridgend Ravens

Joseph Scrivens slotted the Ravens first points of the match thanks to an early second half penalty as the visitors looked to work their way back into the game.

The Quins looked to pin Bridgend deep in their own 22 throughout the second half, kicking deep to the corner with the driving wind behind them. Carmarthen regained their 8 point lead with 55 minutes played. A great attacking scrum for the hosts was initially well defended by the Ravens but outside half Joseph Scrivens’ attempt to slow the ball down was punished with a yellow card. Dan Jones notched the penalty to stretch the hosts lead.

Bridgend upped the intensity whilst down to fourteen men to produce their only try of the game. A quick tap penalty led to further Quins indiscipline. The Ravens kicked to the corner, looking to maintain some pressure on the hosts defence. A neat lineout move faked a close range maul and sent Number 8 Ashton Evans charging toward the line down the five metre channel. The powerful Evans burst the last defender's tackle to touch down out wide. An excellent conversion from Ryan Evans, covering the kicking duties for sin binned Scrivens, levelled the scores going into the final quarter.

Dan Jones edged Carmarthen back into the lead with a long range penalty assisted by the strong wind.

As the clock ticked towards 80 minutes, the Ravens looked to snatch a late victory. A penalty kicked to touch in the Quins 22 gave Bridgend a great position to attack from but poor handling saw centre Dylan Morgans, impressive all afternoon, hack upfield. Morgans outpaced the Ravens scrambling defenders to again get his foot to the ball and dive over the line for the score. The conversion from outside half Jones stretched the Quins’ lead to ten late on.

The Ravens battled to the end but were unable to add to their tally and had to leave a wet and windy Carmarthen Park empty handed.