2015/2016 Premiership Challenge Cup
Cardiff 26 v 22 Bridgend
20 January 2016 - Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Cardiff 26-22 Bridgend

Bridgend Ravens Fosters Challenge Cup campaign came to an end following a narrow defeat to Cardiff at the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park.

A chilly but dry evening saw an open, expansive match on the all weather surface with the Ravens making an immediate impact.

With just a minute on the clock, Fly Half Joseph Scrivens latched on to a wide pass and showed his pace to race over from fifty metres.

Cardiff struck back with two penalty goals from James Thomas before the hosts got their first try of the match. Bridgend indiscipline handed Cardiff great field position, the Capital side hammered away and Joe Tomlinson rumbled over.


Bridgend Replacement Zach O'Driscoll was shown a yellow card as the hosts continued to get the better of the referee's whistle. The resulting penalty, kicked to touch by Cardiff, was again well worked for a crash ball try. Luke Ford the man barging over, with Thomas converting.

The Ravens earned a late chance for a score as Joseph Scrivens charged down a clearance kick, gathered, and set off into the Hosts’ 22. Bridgend battled away close to the line, whilst down to 14 men, but Cardiff held firm. A penalty 5 metres out was tapped by the Visitors and Teifion Jones managed to drive over. Scrivens converted to narrow the gap at the break to four.

HT Cardiff RFC 18-14 Bridgend Ravens

An entertaining start to the second half saw both sides have their chances, but it was the Ravens that would get the next score to edge themselves ahead at the midway point of the second half.


A powerful maul rumbled towards the line. Cardiff halted the Ravens charge just short of the, quick recycling allowed Jonny Kenny to squeeze over. Scrivens added the extras to stretch the Ravens lead to four.

Cardiff worked their way into the second half as the 70 minute mark approached. The open nature of the match led to some gaps appearing in the Ravens defence and Aled Ward was able to slice through. Callum Hall added conversion to swing the four point margin back in the favour of the hosts.

Bridgend finished the match on the front foot, battling to the end but were unable to add to their tally. A fine effort from the Ravens was not enough to secure the win as Cardiff held on to keep themselves in contention for a semifinal place.

Attendance: 121

Cardiff Bridgend