2016 Swalec Cup
Beddau 13 v 20 Bridgend
03 February 2016 - Castellau Road, Beddau
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Beddau 13-20 Bridgend Ravens

Bridgend Ravens finally got their SSE Swalec Cup defence underway on Wednesday following two postponements due to adverse weather at Mount Pleasant Park.

Having seen their game called off twice previously, Bridgend put in an accomplished performance to see off their SWALEC Championship opponents and book a last sixteen date with Cross Keys on Saturday afternoon at the Bridgend Ford Brewery Field.

A dogged Beddau performance limited the Ravens opportunities throughout the match, holding Bridgend to just their two first half tries.

Bridgend started on the front foot, and attacked for most of the opening quarter. The Ravens notched their first score thanks to Joseph Scrivens’ electric footwork. The Fly Half was halted just short of the line and Morgan Jones was on hand to finish the move off. Scrivens added the extras for the Ravens first seven pointer of the season.

Beddau worked the ball well when they were able to get their hands on it. Their first foray into the Ravens 22 resulted in a penalty that Fly Half Sam Withers lined up for the posts. The excellent wide penalty split the uprights to register the hosts’ first points of the match.

Bridgend continued to press for further scores throughout the first half but were met by a solid Beddau defensive line. With five minutes left of the half, the Ravens stormed over the line with a huge scrum drive that saw the referee award a penalty try. Scrivens added the conversion to push the visitors out to an eleven point halftime lead.

HT Beddau RFC 3-14 Bridgend Ravens

Bridgend started the second half in much the same fashion as the first, looking to add to their tally. An early penalty from Joseph Scrivens edged the Ravens further ahead only to be pegged back again shortly after with a reply from Withers.

The hosts set up a nervy final fifteen minutes for the Ravens faithful as they claimed their first try of the match. As Bridgend looked to break away, a wide pass went to ground and Beddau launched a stinging counter attack. Fullback Cody Baker set off down the wing and managed to evade the covering defenders to score. Withers added the conversion to narrow the gap to just four points.

Beddau looked much more dangerous with the game opening up late on so the Ravens attempted to steady the ship. The visitors scrum power won a penalty that Scrivens dispatched to widen the gap to seven points with just over five minutes to go.

Bridgend held on to secure a narrow victory at a chilly Mount Pleasant Park to book their place in the second round where they will face Cross Keys RFC at the Bridgend Ford Brewery Field on Saturday. 

Attendance: 178

Official : David Cambourne (Wales)

Beddau Bridgend