Carmarthen Quins
2016/2017 Principality Premiership
Quins 34 v 8 Bridgend
07 January 2017 - The Park, Carmarthen
Bridgend Ravens

Match Report

Carmarthen 34-8 Bridgend

Bridgend completed the first half of the Principality Premiership campaign with a trip to Carmarthen Park to face a Quins side that had already cemented their place in the top 8.

The Ravens found themselves in a fourteen point hole with little over 15 minutes played. Two penalty tries for the hosts, converted by Craig Evans, left Bridgend with a lot of work to do to get back into the game. Ryan Evans was adjudged to have taken his man out chasing back following a kick through and was shown a yellow card as the first Penalty try arrived. The second was awarded after a Bridgend scrum deep in their own half. As the scrum wheeled the referee headed between the posts again.

Bridgend managed to build some phases and worked their way into the Carmarthen 22 for the first time in the match. Joseph Scrivens slotted a penalty to get the Visitors on the board as the first quarter came to a close.

Carmarthen flyer Lee Williams added the hosts third score before the break thanks to a deft chip into the try area. The wing dived on the ball to score.

The Ravens efforts late on deserved a try following a fantastic break down field. Jon Kenny was the recipient of the last pass and the second row was stopped just short by the scrambling Quins defence. Quick on the whistle, the referee awarded Carmarthen a penalty to halt the Ravens most promising attack of the half.

HT Carmarthen Quins 19-3 Bridgend Ravens

Bridgend raced out of the blocks in the second half trying to launch the fightback. Connor Tantum, picking up the pace, tapped a penalty and made his way into the Quins 22. Carmarthen illegally spoiled the Bridgend attack and the Ravens kicked the penalty to the corner. As the lineout drive edged towards the Carmarthen line, the hosts’ second row Josh Helps was shown a yellow card for collapsing the maul. Bridgend continued hunting for their first try which eventually arrived when the impressive Gareth Beer drove over. The wide conversion left an 11 point margin between the sides with just over five minutes of the second half played.

Craig Evans added a penalty for the hosts following a period of impressive defending from the Ravens. The Quins pressure would eventually prove to be too much to hold out as a quick tap penalty allowed Morgan Griffiths to race clear to grab a bonus point score for the Quins.

Carmarthen made sure of the win with a fifth try, this time a stinging counter attack from their own 22 was finished again by Griffiths.

Bridgend will rue missed opportunities and a disappointing start that left them 14 points down with barely 15 minutes played. But the Ravens will now look forward to the Fosters Challenge Cup break, before the second half of the Principality Premiership season, where they currently sit top of Pool 4. 

Bridgend Ravens Supporters Man of the Match - Tom Morgan

Attendance: 375

Official : Rhys Thomas (Wales)

Quins Bridgend