Bridgend Ravens
2016 Club Friendlies
Bridgend 50 v 8 Beddau
13 August 2016 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend 50-8 Beddau

Bridgend Ravens got their pre season campaign off to a good start with a comfortable 50-8 win against championship side Beddau.

Beddau took an early lead with a penalty goal but Bridgend struck back shortly after with the game's first try. Rhys Thomas touched down out wide for the unconverted score.

Beddau didn't take long to hit back. Two minutes later Adam Ashford touched down to again push the visitors into a slender lead. The unconverted score would be Beddau’s last of the match as the Ravens controlled proceedings for the remaining 70 minutes.

Both sides matched each other well with no team able to break through until late in the half. Two scores out wide for speedster debutant Garin Lougher gave Bridgend a 15-8 halftime lead. The Bridgend Sports product gave the Bridgend coaches something to think about with two great finishes to hand his side the initiative going into the interval. 

HT Bridgend Ravens 15-8 Beddau RFC

Five unanswered second half scores saw Bridgend rack up fifty points in what was a great display of open exciting rugby.

Nicky Boyce was on Jack Popes shoulder after the second row made a fine break to touch down for the first of the Ravens second half tries. Joseph Scrivens converted.

One of only two survivors from the first half, Ryan Davies was next to touch down. The wing latched onto his own kick to score out wide. Scrivens landed the wide kick to push Bridgend into a 21 point lead with just ten minutes played in the second half.

Matthew John added his name to the score sheet following a massive Bridgend scrum won against the head close to the Beddau try line. The number 8 crashed over from close range.

Two tries in the final ten minutes rounded off a great first pre season performance. Ashton Evans was in support when Joseph Gatt sliced through to touch down under the posts. Jamie Murphy then added the final try with an interception break away with time nearly up. Both scores converted by Geraint Llewellyn to bring up 50 points.

It was a good workout for Head Coach Matt Silva in his first game in charge of Bridgend. He takes his squad to Bedfordshire to face Ampthill next up, on Saturday 20 August. Kick off is 3pm.