Bridgend Ravens
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Bridgend 13 v 23 Cardiff
02 February 2018 - Morganstone Brewery Field, Bridgend

Match Report

Bridgend 13-23 Cardiff

Bridgend Ravens fell to a ten point defeat in their first taste of East versus West Premiership Rugby of the season under the lights at the Morganstone Brewery Field on Friday night.

Cardiff dominated for the majority of the first half, their scrum shunting the Ravens backwards consistently. The visitors built a 13 points to nil lead with over half an hour played thanks to the boot of Gareth Thompson and a try from Wing Jack Phillips.

Bridgend struck back late in the half thanks to the quick thinking of Iestyn Merriman. The Ravens looked to gradually work their way toward the Cardiff line but with the visitors disrupting the breakdown, Merriman was forced to quickly tidy up and found a gap in the Cardiff defence. The Hooker had enough pace to race in from just outside the Cardiff 22 to notch the first Ravens points of the match.

HT Bridgend Ravens 5-13 Cardiff RFC

Bridgend narrowed the gap to five after the break as Ryan Evans landed a penalty. The fly half looked to have bagged the Ravens second try of the match following strong runs from Ryan Griffiths and Garin Lougher. Evans stepped his way over to touch down but the referee penalised the Ravens for crossing and went back for an earlier advantage.

Bridgend produced a much better second half but mistakes proved costly as a dropped pass in midfield handed Cardiff a breakaway score.

With penalties mounting up against the Blue and Blacks, Bridgend were able to get themselves back within seven. Cardiff indiscipline handed Bridgend great field position where the Ravens set the maul. A hard line from Nathan Edwards saw the centre crash over for the try. With little time remaining, Bridgend needed a converted score to level.

Cardiff secured the victory with the last kick of the match, pushing themselves out to a 10 point lead, and ensuring Bridgend missed out on a losing bonus poimt.